Peas are one of the oldest cultivated crops. They are native to Mediterranean region and found in middle east. Peas are cool season legume crop. Scientific name of pea is Pisum sativum. Peas are native to Western Asia and Africa. Peas are cultivated worldwide even in Europe, Middle east, American continent. It belongs to family Fabaceae. It is an annual plant and full of vitamins and minerals. Peas are high in fiber, protein, vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Lutein, protein, amino acids some complex carbohydrates and galactosidase and folate. Now I am going to write benefits of the nutrients present in green peas.
- Fiber present in peas are good because it makes you less hungry and promotes the feeling of fullness and very good for colon health.
- Peas are rich in protein so helps to control blood glucose levels.
- Potassium is particularly good for heart health that in green peas.
- Saponins present in green peas has antioxidant properties that inhibits the growth of tumor cells.
- Vitamin K present in it reduces the risk of prostate cancer.
- Vitamin C present in it helps to clear skin and absorption of calcium.
- Essential amino acids like lysine, methionine, that help build protein in the human body to maintain muscle and tissue health.
- Iron present in peas help to improve anemia in patients by increasing hemoglobin in blood cells that improves oxygen level in the human body.
- Carotenoid pigment name lutein present in peas helps to improve eye health and reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
- Peas are helpful to reducing weight because of high fiber and protein content.
- Antioxidants present in peas like catechin, flavonoids and alpha carotene helpful to fight against diseases.
- Antioxidants epicatechin, carotenoids present in it has anti-aging effect on body.
- Vitamin B present in body helps to convert food into energy to improve digestion and metabolism.
- Resent study showed a presence of phytonutrient and polyphenol helps to reduce cancer.
- Nutrients present in peas has anti-inflammatory effect on the human body it reduces stomach cancer and swelling.
I think we discussed lots of health benefits of peas and their nutritional value for healthy living. I think I am going to write another beautiful pea recipe for breakfast with a glass of milk.
- 1 cup of frozen organic green peas.
- 3 shallots.
- 3 baby tomatoes.
- Few flakes of sea salt.
- 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil.
Thaw the frozen peas and put into a pan and add baby tomatoes and few shallots cook them for few minutes and add drizzle of coconut oil and few flakes of sea salt. Off the heat. It is ready to serve individual serving with whole grain toast with drizzle of olive oil. Its healthy and good for humans to eat and serve. I hope you enjoy todays recipe and health benefits of frozen organic peas.