Today is Saturday. As usual I woke up took my bath and meditation and came down to eat my healthy breakfast. Then I made a cup of fennel and cardamom tea in my backyard in my pool area. Weather is hot outside seems like a heat wave then went to see my organic vegetable patch. I think I am going to write health benefits of fenugreek seeds and its origin. Its history leads back 4000 BC. Fenugreek seeds are used as medicine in ancient Egypt. It belongs to family Fabaceae. Its scientific name is Trigonella foenum-graecum. It is an annual herb. In Ayurveda they call it Medhika. Fenugreek seeds contain flavonoids, alkaloids, coumarins and saponins and trigonelline. Courmins include cinnamic acid and scopoletin. Several benefits of fenugreek seeds are listed below.
- They are full of antioxidants. Regular consumption of fenugreek seeds boosts the immune system and immunity level in the body.
- Its seeds are very effective in digestive problems including constipation, loss of appetite etc.
- Regular consumption of its seeds reduces blood glucose level in the body. It improves insulin sensitivity.
- Its seeds help to increase breast milk flow.
- Its seeds help in weight loss.
- It raises testosterone and boost sperm count.
- Antioxidants present in its seeds help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- It reduces the cholesterol level and improves blood pressure and improves heart health.
- Traditionally it is used as pain reliever during periods.
- Regular use of its seeds improve arthritis and swelling of joints.
- It improves headaches and migraines.
- Helps to improve breathing problems.
- In Indian cooking its seeds used as a spice to improve flavor and aroma and taste of the food.
- Its regular use reduces certain type of cancers.
- Its antioxidant properties are excellent against fungal and bacterial infections.
Some recipes to take fenugreek seeds.
- Tablespoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 glass of water
Soak tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water overnight. in the morning time blend the seeds in the water and drink it for few days. It is good for digestive health and controlling blood glucose levels.
We can use fenugreek seeds in making curries to enhance the flavor of food. I am going to share with you guys an Indian curry recipe with fenugreek seeds and it tastes excellent.
- 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds
- one fourth of tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 pound of small purple potatoes
- half cup of grated onions
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 cup of grated tomatoes
Take a pot and put a tablespoon of coconut oil. Warm it up and add tablespoon of cumin seeds. once they are little darker then add all spices and the above-mentioned ingredients. Lower the heat so they do not burn and add tomato puree in it. Mix it and cover it cup for 5 minutes. Then add 2 cups of water and potatoes. Cover the pot and cook it for 20 minutes until potatoes are cooked. Turn the stove off. Serve this potato curry with basmati rice, but always make sure to find the ingredients as organic as they can be. It’s delicious and very nutritious and very healthy. see you guys next time in next blog. I think I am going to make YouTube videos of my recipes and on Facebook to teach you how to make healthy and organic food recipes for healthy living.