Today is Sunday. Weather is good. Its sunny but air is much cooler. I went to see my organic veggie patch in the morning. They are growing really good enjoying good sunshine and healthy. So, after drinking my homemade organic immunity boosting tea, I am going to write about another excellent spice that is exotic and have enormous health benefits. Natural ancient spices and herbs are the gifts of mother nature. We just need to look around and read about them, know about their benefits to live healthy and mentally and physically. We should practice better and organic way to live happy and nurture ourselves by using natural products and help others to heal and benefit from the knowledge we have. So today I am going to right about another spice called green cardamom.
Cardamom originated in western Ghats in southern India. Cardamom was a wild plant in India. It is one of the oldest spices that goes back to 4000 years in history. Egyptians used cardamoms for medicinal purposes. Greeks and romans used in making of their aromatic perfumes and oils because of its fragrance. In Indian and middle eastern cuisine, its used in making curries in a spice blend. Its used in sweet and savory dishes for its exotic flavour and aroma. It belongs to family Zingiberaceae and its scientific name is Elettaria cardamom. It is a perennial plant that thrives under the shade of trees in hot and humid climate. It is used as a medicine in ayurvedic system of medicine and in Chinese medicine almost all-over Asian countries. Some of the medicinal benefits of cardamom are listed below. Cardamom is considered very valuable because of presence of compounds like terpene, flavonoids and esters. Another compound found in cardamom oil is 1,8cineole and a-terpenylacetate that has tremendous medicinal value.
- In Ayurveda cardamom is used to detoxify the body and mind to reduce the effects of toxins in the body.
- It is used as a medicine to balance the whole system of the body.
- Cardamom is full of antioxidants that protects our body from free radical damage.
- Phytochemicals found in cardamom oil has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- Chewing a cardamom decreases bad breath and very effective in oral health.
- Cardamom can heal mouth ulcers and kills bad breath causing bacteria.
- Cardamom cleans toxins from urinary track, bladder, and kidneys because of its diuretic properties.
- Cardamom supplements improves blood glucose levels.
- Regular use of cardamom reduces blood pressure improves cardiovascular health by supporting triglyceride levels and helps maintain healthy cholesterol in the body.
- Cardamom tea is helpful in anxiety good restful sleep.
- Cardamom oil is used to relax muscles through massage.
- Cardamom oil is used to reduce cramps if used to massage the affected area.
- Cardamom is very good for digestion because it increases the saliva in the mouth.
- It is a good source of manganese and vitamin C.
- From ancient times to today in Ayurveda it is consider as an Aphrodisiac.
So now we know the benefits of green cardamom. Now I am going to share the recipe of cardamom tea can be enjoyed at any time of the day to get its benefits.
Take four green organic cardamom pods. Crush it or take a half teaspoon of green cardamom powder. Add that to two cups of water. Cover the pot and boil it for 5 minutes. Then add 2 black tea bags. Seep it for 7 minutes. Then add 2 teaspoons of organic raw honey. Mix it well and pour a cup of tea and enjoy it. Its full of health benefits.
- Black tea is full of antioxidants.
- Raw honey has antibacterial and anti fungal properties.
Green cardamom is diuretic and have anti inflammatory properties and is antibacterial. Helps our body to fight against infections. So that’s it for today and I will post my next blog on another incredible spice.