Today is Monday. As usual I woke up in the morning. I took shower and did my meditation routine and then I came down in the kitchen and ate my healthy breakfast. Then I made a cup of tea with fennel and cardamom with a touch of coconut and almond milk. It was delicious then I went outside in my pool area to enjoy the weather. I just came inside to share my blog with you guys on healthy and organic living. Today I am going to write about benefits of fennel. Fennel is grown worldwide from Middle east to Asia Mediterranean and in North America and Europe. Fennel is a herb that is used to enhance the flavor and aroma of dishes worldwide. It belongs to family Apiaceae in Umbelliferae. Its scientific name is Foeniculum vulgare and it is a perennial herb. It has many chemical compounds as alpha pinene, beta pinene, its essential oil contains estragole and other phytochemicals. Now we Are going to discuss various medicinal uses of fennel.
- Regular use of fennel helps in digestion. It has cooling effect on body. It reduced stomach cramping and bloating.
- It is highly nutritious. One tablespoon of fennel seeds contain fiber, vitamin c, calcium, iron, mg, k, manganese.
- Fresh fennel bulb helps in cellular protection and wound healing.
- It contains antioxidants and polyphenols That have anti-inflammatory effect on body and swelling.
- Antioxidants lower the risk of cancer and neurological diseases.
- It has antimicrobial properties.
- Regular use of fennel water has antiviral properties.
- It helps to reduce high cholesterol.
- Fennel increases the milk secretion in human females by increasing the level of prolactin.
- Fennel extract reduces the age relating memory deficits.
- It helps to reduce menopausal symptoms of females.
So overall fennel is a very important herb. Bulb of fennel is used in salads and its seeds are used to flavor soups, broths and deserts to enhance the flavor and aroma of dishes. Today I am going to share an exceptionally good and nutritious drink for summer months that has cooling effect on body and delicious.
- 1 liter water
- I tablespoon fennel seeds
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons of organic sugar
Take a pot of water and put fennel seeds in it. Boil it for 5 minutes and take it off the heat. Cool the fennel water by putting it in to the refrigerator. Once it cools then add lemon juice and organic sugar in it. Mix it well and enjoy the drink that has carminative effect on body and extremely healthy. I will write another blog tomorrow with another good and healthy spice.