Garlic is native to central and middle Asia and its history take it back to Egypt and ancient India and western part of china. It is one of the oldest known ancient plant for its medicinal value. Today many varieties of garlic are grown worldwide and used as seasoning for various recipes. Even Greeks and Romans loved it as food flavouring herb to medicinal purposes. Scientific name of garlic is Allium sativum and it belongs to family Amaryllidaceae. Garlic is grown worldwide for is flavourful bulb. Garlic contains diallyl disulfide, diallyl trisulfide, allyl propyl disulfide. Bulb of garlic grows under the soil.
Benefits of Garlic
- Garlic is used as a powerful antibiotic from ancient times to today’s world. All the sulphide compounds present in garlic has antimicrobial effect on disease causing bacteria.
- Regular intake of garlic cures intestinal infections.
- Garlic can be excellent for heart after heart surgery. compound Diallyl trisulphide present in garlic oil prevents heart diseases. It cures heart and prevent further damage and prevents diseases of heart muscle.
- Regular intake of garlic pills prevents cholesterol and high blood pressure and take control of systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Overall, it improves cardiovascular health.
- Garlic decreases the risk of prostate cancer in men.
- In Ancient times garlic is used as a cure for common colds and throat infections.
- People who eats garlic regularly in their diet has far less chances of developing osteoarthritis later in their lives.
- Studies has shown garlic can wipe off tumour cells from the body.
- Garlic can cure brain cancer.
- Garlic can reduce the risk of lung cancer because of its anti- microbial properties.
- Garlic has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
- Garlic can lower the colon cancer risk by strengthening the immune system.
- Because of its antibacterial properties it kills acne causing bacteria and clears the skin.
- Using Garlic in your food prevents food poisoning by killing E coli and salmonella.
- Garlic cures all kinds of fungus causing diseases.
Now we can talk about how we can use garlic to make our food delicious and nutritious by sharing some of the recipes to make its flavour more palatable so we can eat it everyday life without worrying about its sharp flavour and enjoy its flavour. I am sharing my excellent garlic pickle recipe that I make at home.
My Garlic Pickle Recipe
It is a beautiful recipe very appetizing taste delicious and full of loads of vitamins and minerals. I developed my own organic version to make it more palatable to eat. It is little spicy, but you can adjust the amount of pepper I used in this recipe according to your taste. We need following ingredients to make it.
- A cup of fresh garlic that is peeled
- A cup of mustard oil
- Half a teaspoon of sea salt
- Cayenne pepper flakes
- Half a tablespoon of Rye
At first put a small pot on the stove. Pour a cup of mustard oil and warm it up on medium heat. Once its warm off the stove let it cool down at room temperature without covering the pot. Then take a glass jar and make sure jar is dry. Then put a freshly peeled garlic cloves in glass jar. Once the oil reaches room temperature pour it into on top of garlic cloves in the jar. Then add all the spices we measured into the jar. Mix it well. Tighten the lid and put the jar into full sun on for minimum three weeks. Make sure you mix it everyday by reversing the jar few times without opening the lid. When night falls shade comes bring the jar inside. Next morning put it back in full sunshine. The heat of the sun will do its work it will cure the garlic with the spices and turn it into a delicious pickle you guys have ever tasted. You can savour it with delicious Indian multigrain flat bread and a bowl of organic home cooked lentils. Enjoy it and reap its benefits in a delicious way by introducing into your meals.
Now I am going to right the health benefits of the spices we used in making this delicious pickle.
- Mustard oil we used has a store house of health benefits. Mustard oil has Mufa in it that promotes heart health. It protects from infections. Promotes blood circulation good for skin health.
- Cayenne pepper we use boosts our metabolism improves digestion, reduces cancer risk, reduces pain.
- Sea salt we used is good for digestion, good source of minerals prevents muscle cramps and regulate fluid balance in the body.
- Rye is whole mustard seeds contains phosphorous, magnesium lots of minerals and antioxidants that protects us from cancers, heart diseases and even asthma.
So, the pickle we made is storehouse of benefits for our health and extremely appetizing to eat. So, enjoy my pickle recipe and leave some comments. See you at my next blog.